Thursday, 14 April 2011

I won’t go gentle

Ok so forty dum de dum is middle aged but am I really ready to label myself as that ? NO is the resounding answer to that. I admit I can’t wear killer heels for as long as used to and yes I have more wrinkles than ever before, I don’t just have bags under my eyes I have suitcases now and my joints complain a heck of lot these days. My memory is not what it used to be and I go into a different room then wonder what the heck I went in there for…………… hmm where was I ? Oh yes middle age, it’s not that I mind getting older but I mind all that it brings,  I object to teenagers giving me odd looks if I am out and about and my tattoos are showing. They look at me as if to say ‘what the heck is she thinking of ‘ all I can say is I hope they get given the same looks for expressing themselves in a particular way when they are my age. I love having weird hair colour but my son has put paid to that ( well him and all the chemicals my body has had pumped into it ), he wants me to be a ‘Normal’ Mom. But I don’t feel like a normal Mom I feel like me so why should I not look like me ? I don’t want to be an embarrassment to him but equally he should be used to me by now and he could be a bit more tolerant of how others want to be. I certainly would never tell him I wish he was a bit more individual, he has his own style and yes it does err on the conservative for me but that is his choice. He prefers wearing a shirt rather than T shirts and I applaud that as he does look lovely in shirt but I am biased.

I guess what I am waffling on about is I am not ready to roll over and succumb to hair rollers, support hose and meal on wheels just yet . This old girl is not going to go quietly Old Age is gonna have to drag me kick and screaming into my dotage.

 

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
And you, my father, there on that sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas

 

Love

Momma Tea

7 comments:

  1. And why the hell should you? The age people get to nowadays, middle aged is in the 50's as opposed to when we were kids and that was old age. In just over 6 years I can start getting stuff from SAGA and RIAS. I don't feel like I am in my 40's and you certainly don't look it. Considering what you have been through, you look decidedly 30ish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you darlin, Are you coming on the 23rd ? Hope so would love to see you and the kids here celebrating with us

    Lovs
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now see... I am one of those who ALSO hears my own Drummer.. and I don't even CARE what "THEY" think of Me... soooooo my friend, I say GO For the GOLD. Life would be sooooo boring if it were not for those, like you, who want to be something other than the same cookie cutter thing. Be true to yourself!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard my drummer once, I took his sticks off him and told him to keep the noise down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MayzieMom here. Thank you for this post. I myself am 43 and have been questioning this whole "middle-aged" thing. Middle-aged? Me? Well, yes, I suppose I am. But more and more I realize that age really IS all in one's mind. And if I want to go out dancing or wear a cute little t-shirt with jean capris or WHATEVER...that's okay. I enjoy being who I am and for the first time in my life, I actually kind of know who I am. And now that I finally know who I am, why should I try to hide it?

    I say...FLAUNT IT, BABY. Flaunt who you are and when your son is middle-aged himself, he will LOVE telling his friends about his one-of-a-kind mum who had pink hair and tattoos and wasn't afraid to show her true colors to the world.

    Hugs!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the previous posters: it is what you make it! Who you are is amazing and a number shouldn't make you or anyone feel like they have to change who they are. :D That's how we pups live! And we are pretty smart!!

    Wags of encouragement to show those tattoos!!!

    Zona

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are not getting older you are getting BETTER! I was just 44 so I am right there with you. I had a child later in life, which already makes me a little different PLUS I just got my first tattoo last year! Keep dancing to your own music. Teenagers are teenagers - but some day your son will appreciate you just the way you are!

    Kristin & Pip

    ReplyDelete